Thursday, September 10, 2009

Saying "Liar" in a Crowded Captial: The Conjecture Continues

I have been gone for a while tired and drained of writing about the frustration the terrible news of the world and the state of how things are. From murder suicides happening across the country, a 18 year kidnapping in California where the victim bore the children of the (alleged) kidnapper, school shootings, the War in Afghanistan, and all of the negative news; what has risen to the top of my outrage list is one man, Representative Joe Wilson (Joe the Liar) of South Carolina calling the President of the United States a liar on the floor of the United States Capital, making a major address to the Congress and to our nation.

I am not sure if the American public has been "dumb-downed" by episodes of Jerry Springer or Maury Povich to find this type of disrespect acceptable. I don't know if it was just me but I couldn't tell the congressional town hall meetings and these tea parties apart from scripted daytime television. Did Rep. Wilson of South Carolina misread his invitation or daily agenda yesterday and though he was going to a town hall meeting where heckling the United States President was permissible.

What has happened to this country, we can't even disagree anymore amicably. Health care is a moral issue. No one should have to make the choice of who lives or dies based on money. I have always found it interest on what we choose to spend money on and what not. I remember learning in economics the principle of "Needs vs. Wants" in high school. We spend money on wars and prisons but not enough on schools and believe the price of health care is too much. I wonder if the House and Senate didn't have their public option-yes that's right each member of Congress has publicly funded health care for all 535 of them (included the one who cried "liar" in a crowded theater (the US Capital) -how quickly this would pass.

An Outraged Thought:

Finally, addressing those "outraged" people who did attend and support the tea parties, the town halls antics, and those who thought that the President was going to corrupt the youth and school students please, please, don't say you are outraged, because you bring total disrespect to the words and its meaning. I ask that you speak to what you know of which is stupidity, absurdity, and conjecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment