Monday, March 23, 2009

Tell US No (More) Lies

Nothing makes me more outraged than blatant liars who are supposed to have our best interest at heart. These liars are in the most important roles in our government and businesses. I concede that the little white lies are more convenient and easier than the hard truth, but I am not responsible for the monitoring and accountability of national security or our financial system. I am not the CEO of a failed company that needed bailout money to survive. I didn't pay out bonuses to people who didn’t deserve them. The American people can tell the difference between little white lies and heinous lies, or can we. The 42nd President of the United States (Clinton) lied about an affair that he had. Some would not agree with his actions but nonetheless would understand why he did it. The 43rd President (Bush) lied to us about WMD’s and sent us to a war that we are still fighting, costing us billions of dollars, thousands of lives, and thousands more soldiers returning home injured for life who may not receive the proper care they deserve. Of these two Presidents, remember which one got impeached? Yes, that should outrage you too!

Imagine former President Bill Clinton. If I was him, I would have spoken to the masses about this fact. I would have gone on a media blitz to all that would have listened; but this simply shows us the true difference between Democrats and Republicans. If Al Gore was President, I have no doubt he would have been impeached after the events of 9/11 and those yet to be found WMD’s. Republicans would have screamed how incompetent the Gore Administration was (like what they are doing now with Geithner and the Treasury Department of the Obama Administration). There would have been REAL investigations on who knew what, when, why, and how they let this happen on their watch. Someone would have gone to jail or worse. People would have been charged with treason. One thing that I will give Republicans is that they know how to fight but that’s only limited to grandstanding in Washington D.C. and on television.

I do have an thought and a fact that should make you outraged. It is something that you have probably thought about the past few months with all the money we have spent, printed, and wasted. What is one of the biggest lies that our government tells us? The answer: The fact that we don't have enough money! It depends, because they can't figure out the difference between needs and wants.

I am outraged: over the lies of what we can and CAN’T afford!

Honestly right now, we can't really afford too much of anything, but we are still spending. The spending between the bailout and the two wars we are fighting is a lot of what we can't afford, but we are told that these things are necessary evils. It seems like we need to waste money and want to save money on what is needed the most. An oxymoron if one was really needed.

Here are just a few of the things what (yes) we CAN afford:
  • Yes, we can the afford cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but not education, health care, and transportation improvements here in the United States.
  • Yes, we can afford to rebuild Baghdad, but not New Orleans. Too money has been wasted in both and each may never be the same again.
  • Yes, we can afford NASA and the space program, but some of our citizens are homeless, foreclosed upon, and can’t make it across town rather than across the stars and to Mars.
  • Yes, we can afford the prison system and its perks like three meals a day, a bed, workout privileges, access to health care and education--oh that's only for convicted criminals. Its admittance policy requires that you cause harm to someone else first. Your admission must be approved by a council of twelve people (a jury) and signed off by the administrator (the judge). Of course we can afford this but not a college education, or better yet a decent high school education. Another example of being good to people who are acting badly and being rewarded for it!!
It seems to me that all of our priorities are wrong. We can afford all that is destructive and nothing that is constructive!

An Outraged Idea: Let one of these banks go broke just to show some tough love and make an example. I remember tough love...my parents gave it to me and it made me a better person. Let’s face it we reward failure and reward it big time. The too big to fail is a bad policy and it is a sign that a company is fact too big. The only bailout these companies deserve are for these executives to be bailed out of their expensive offices, homes, and cars and spend some time in a prison cell where there is no stimulus plan for the frauds that they have committed. Bernie Madoff needs some company and there are more than enough of these blatant liars to overcrowd some desolate prisons and throw away the key. How about some new and fresh leadership? Now that’s a new idea to solve our financial crisis.

An Outraged Note: Let’s try this policy: Give us no promises and tell us no lies. Now that a promise that we can all keep!

1 comment:

  1. Hey OC,

    Love the blog! I, too, agree that one of these banks needs to fail. Just like I didn't believe in WMD's in Iraq or that Bill "Did not... have. . . sex. . . with that woman," I don't believe that the entire US financial system will come crashing to halt if Citigroup (my personal choice) falls off the cliff.

    ReplyDelete